[clue] Missing messages.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Dec 23 16:58:31 MST 2011

So I'm curious.  Do you ever post to the list and your message doesn't show up?

If so, do you know why?  Do you ask why?  Do you even notice?

On the lists I manage (not clue) I've seen two things that hold up messages:

- posting from an address that isn't subscribed
- posting an attachment that's too big

Those lists, just like clue, only accept mail from subscribed addresses and reject messages larger
than 40k.  I don't think mailman provides feedback to the sender in either case.

Someone asked me why today and I was able to tell him.  In the process I learned how to find out
what postfix did with a message, and what mailman did with it.

In the postfix case the log was clear that the mail was delivered.

In the mailman case it was clear that the mail was dropped but not why.  This
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-February/049331.html led me to check the
subscriber list, which showed the poster wasn't subscribed.  I guess the moderators don't see those
posts, which makes sense.