[clue] [OT] XMAS dimissive

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 13:43:45 MST 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM, YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote:

> Happy Christmas, geeks. Peace, Love, and Prosperity to you.

The current gmail reply mechanism makes it practically impossible to
reply to the original message in a thread, but here it is:

< I can hardly wait for December 25 to pass on.
< 47 hours ?

As you have said it passed on, and as David said it was peace, love,
and prosperity. An unhurried (peaceful) day with family (love)
exchanging gifts that were bought in the rush but bring (prosperity)
to those who sell them.

< I find it so uncivilized.   the rushing shoppers.
< the closed businesses.

Most of us define prosperity as having a job with the occasional day
off. And the rushing shoppers are certainly not unique to Christmas.

< the lies about Santa.  the once-a-year visitors
< to church.  the ignorance of historical
< precursors.

The inability to understand and appreciate allegory and symbolism is
certainly no mark of civilization. I can't think of anyone who doesn't
understand the historical precursors of Christmas in the Roman and
German tribes. It's certainly no worse to have a Christian message
transposed on the season than to have the season merely associated
with the stories of the ancient gods.

Enjoy your bah humbug without the rushing shoppers for the rest of the year.

--
Collins Richey