[clue] Ettiquette and volunteers

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:37:17 MST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Crawford Rainwater
<crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:

> Then it the requests started to become "I want this...and this...and this...with CLUE." which became a bit trying to even perturbing I must admit.
>
> Case example: The CLUE web site migration from "old" to a CMS.
> The idea was being pitched around a bit since middle of 2010.  There were even a few presentations and threads about which CMS to use.  I would like to thank everyone that volunteered to show off their CMS of choice.  It was nice to see what possibilities are out there indeed.
>
> Then came the reality.  If CLUE was going to migrate to a CMS based web site, who was going to do the work?  There were a few people in the early or learning stages with CMS's, though only a few who have actually built and done such.  I am not calling myself personally an expert of Drupal by far.  Linux ETC is currently using it for a number of sites including our own and the web conferencing center in a simplified way (at least I think it is since I am not a PHP nor DB developer by a long stretch, nor claim to be).
>
> To top things off, futility erupted and was unfortunate in the timing where CLUE had Jed resigned as web master.  Ironically, no one stepped forward to assist the need here as well.  So I took it upon myself and volunteered to do a rather quick build and migration of CLUE's "old" web site into the CMS.  It is still an ongoing process since I am doing this as a volunteer in my personal free time.  I am not saying I do not enjoy this, I am just saying time is a valued commodity from my personal perspective as I suspect it is such with others.

Crawford,

None of us can find any fault with the work you have done to put up
the new CLUE site, but I think your post is way off topic and almost
guaranteed to discourage any volunteers you might want to attract to
the project. I can't speak for any of the others who have said "I want
...", but my understanding of such requests is that what is meant is
"I would like to see" or "We should try ..." sometime.

 Dennis, and Gus, and I were meeting to discuss implementing Drupal
over a period of 1-3 months as time permitted. You took it upon
yourself to decide that the cutover had to be right now. Since you had
yanked permissions to access the server some time back, perhaps you
were indeed the only one with sufficient authority to get this done.
Thanks for your efforts, but PLEASE drop the diatribes and whining.

I may be in a minority, but I see no need to have conversion of the
remaining pieces from the old site done post haste. Much of the
material was never accessed anyway.

Dennis, Gus, and I will continue to meet and to experiment with
additional features as we have time. We will keep you posted when we
meet, and all interested parties are welcome to join us.

--
Collins Richey