[clue] Ettiquette and volunteers

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Sun Feb 6 13:48:39 MST 2011

Fellow CLUEbies:

Seems that my assertive posting has drawn a somewhat aggressive response unfortunately which is a pity and shame.

I seem to recall recently that it was voted upon for "one" CLUE list instead of the various other topic oriented lists.  Posting of these results can be found on

http://cluedenver.org/pipermail/clue-admin/2011-January/004106.html

Therefore and in my honest opinion and perspective, if my posting is "off topic" to the "one list", then a conclusion and default with no other lists to post to, this seems to be considered unwanted nor desired by Collins.  If others feel the same way, then perhaps I am misunderstanding the purpose of "one list" for CLUE as a whole now.  Feel free to enlighten me on the latter as well if that is such the case.  Otherwise, I consider this posting to the "one list" to be "on topic" indeed.

As for the CLUE server permissions, I am not the only one that has access to this server.  It was decided by those who do had this access that "extra access" or "user accounts" were unwanted and unnecessary at the time.  It was also noted that most of the previously made accounts were never used to begin with, thus locked because of such.  My personal perspective is that CLUE only has one "live" or "dedicated" server to facilitate the web site(s) and Mailman lists on a VPS with limited resources.  It is not meant to be a "sandbox" for people wanting to research or develop on a personal nature.  Considering the time it took in bringing CLUE to this state, I personally would hate to see this server "mucked up" by accident.  I believe I have repeated this notion multiple time previously on the now former CLUE-Admin list.

With that said, consider this notice that I will be "on sabbatical" from CLUE as a whole.  As I noted previously, and as Matt Dew I suspect will elaborate on in more detail on Tuesday, leeching is not appreciated by others who are donating and volunteering.  If others become reluctant to volunteer their own personal time because of my remarks, please feel free to contact me off list directly to address the concerns.  However, I will also respect others' decision to volunteer (or not) their own personal time since it is their own choice.

Regards,

Crawford Rainwater
CEO and President
MSEE, Linux+, LCP, RHCT, LPIC-1, Novell CLA

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550