[clue] Ettiquette and volunteers

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 6 22:13:13 MST 2011

Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> As for the CLUE server permissions, I am not the only one that has access to this server.  It was
> decided by those who do had this access that "extra access" or "user accounts" were unwanted and
> unnecessary at the time.  It was also noted that most of the previously made accounts were never
> used to begin with, thus locked because of such.

IIRC, when we migrated our VPS early in 2010 we disabled accounts that were not being used then.  No
one complained at the time.

Much later I heard comments that people weren't able to do some things, though they seemed to
require consensus building more than server changes.  None the less, no one has ever told me "I
can't do X because I can't log into the server."  Nor has anyone said "please give me an account so
I can do X."

> My personal perspective is that CLUE only has one "live" or "dedicated" server to facilitate the
> web site(s) and Mailman lists on a VPS with limited resources.  It is not meant to be a "sandbox"
> for people wanting to research or develop on a personal nature.

I've had some type of access to the CLUE server for a long time.  If someone were to ask me for an
account I, or others who are working to run the server, would be wise to exercise some due diligence
as to the reason, the likely impact, and the likely level of care the person would take.

I try hard to make sure that my actions don't break anything and that people won't consider me
irresponsible with the privileges I've been given.  I want people to be able to contribute as they
are able, but this is a production system and we have to keep that in mind.