[clue] [OT] Comment about contentious subjects

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Wed Feb 9 15:30:54 MST 2011

> On Feb 9, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Kevin Fries wrote:

But only if it pleases you... otherwise  out out damned spot
> But I also think that there is a time
> and place for everything.  One could talk about all the positive aspects
> of Adolf Hitler such as dramatically improved literacy rates, near
> elimination of poverty, and a number of other positives that Hitler's
> reign brought. But, a Jewish Synagog is probably not the appropriate
> place.  You can also talk about all the evil Adolf Hitler did like the
> concentration camps, experimentation on humans, attempted world
> domination, etc.  But again, probably not at a skinhead rally.
We could create an Adolf Hitler tag [AH]

> There needs to be a time and place for everything.  And if someone wants
> to discuss Aldolf Hitler with me, lets meet at the Barstool
> Philosopher's group, or privately for coffee.  But this is CLUE,
> Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts.

This is about CLUE politics ... which should not be private.  CLUE politics affect the members.   CLUE politics can be easily spammed away by only accepting the tags you want.  I or others can show you how.
>  Not a political forum.  If the
> topic is about some legislation that effects operating systems,
> therefore effecting Linux either directly or indirectly, then it is
> appropriate in this forum.  You want to talk about god, then it better
> be documented proof about how god loves Linux and hates Windows and
> Mac.  Otherwise, you really need to find another forum.
The above appears to be hyperbole.  If you really hate extraneous things on the mailing list, then unsubscribe and watch for the announcements on the website.  Eventually, as others have suggested , we can put this stuff on forums.

> Bringing contentious topics into this group does not make this group
> stronger, it only gives reason for people to leave.
I have to completely disagree with you on the above.  It would take 5000 words or more to explain in detail why I believe that avoiding issues just makes them worse.

> To paraphrase one of the great teachers in history: Render unto Caesar
> what is Caesar's, and unto Linux what is Linux's.
This is CLUE business.

> Just my $0.02
> Kevin

Just my 1 cent    gus in denver  99denver