[clue] Fwd: [clue-tech] seeking advice, networking timeouts

Mon Feb 14 12:55:13 MST 2011

Just moving Mr. Bean/Daemon's thread to the new, good place. See below for actual content.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.

----- "Mike Bean" <beandaemon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wanted to come to the CLUE oracle, ask for advice. Job related matter, names and places changed to protect the less then innocent!

I seem to be running headlong into a common theme here, that is to say that UX/LX boxes of various flavors haven't been able to get and keep a connection open with windows boxes of various flavors on port 26542? We have yet to find a physical infrastructure reason that can account for it. Typically the switches and firewalls usually check clear. The linux boxes are usually RHEL or some form of Solaris, sometimes SLES. We (the software environment I work with), have no trouble connecting. We kick off our daemon, and sit back and wait for it complete, with the exception of the obligatory "are you done yet" packet? Despite no evidence of failure on the daemon, eventually the UX/LX box just stops answering, and the Windows box times out and resets the connection.

Wiresharks taken from the source machine, show basically the same thing. Daemon starts, CHK packages every so often, eventually the ACK's just stop coming.

After 2 or 3 of these I wrote them off as physical infrastructure failures, but now I'm starting to wonder. Anybody know if there's open issues with the later versions of RHEL? I haven't had much luck searching their knowledge base, and ultimately, I'm really just running out of ideas, so I thought I'd ping the clue-list for any advice/input people would be willing to offer.

Bean