[clue] decentralizing the Internet

Richard Knechtel richard.knechtel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 09:36:01 MST 2011

One thing to think about is the setting up of the old BBS system again. That
was accessed via phone lines. If you could get the old BBS's to work with
cell phones that might be an option.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM, <dennisjperkins at comcast.net> wrote:

> An interesting idea, but I don't see how to make it work.  A wired network
> still leaves us connected to ISPs like Comcast.  A wireless mesh network?
> That would produce mesh islands, not an Internet.  You need a backbone to
> connect them, which brings us back to companies like Comcast.  And what
> would the performance be like?  What about security?
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/nyregion/16about.html?ref=todayspaper

"America… land of the free." **

** All activities must be approved prior to execution. Any deviation from
State-defined methods of administering said activities may result in public
censure, fines, physical punishment, confiscation of property, imprisonment,
death and/or any combination thereof. Participation in "Free Speech", "The
Pursuit of Happiness", "Freedom of Religion",
"Freedom of Assembly", and other exclusive "Rights" subject to the prior
approval of local, state, and federal governing bodies, and such entitled
privileges may be revoked at any time, without notice, for any reason.