[clue] decentralizing the Internet

Bruce Ediger bediger at stratigery.com
Thu Feb 17 09:41:48 MST 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Richard Knechtel wrote:

> One thing to think about is the setting up of the old BBS system again. That
> was accessed via phone lines. If you could get the old BBS's to work with
> cell phones that might be an option.

Or the UUCP or FIDO networks.  They used to distribute usenet via UUCP.

Given the centralized nature of our "Public Switched Telephone Netowrk",
telecom companies are like a spider at the middle of the web.

They have boxes called "DCS-3000" or "DCS-6000" in the middle of every
phone network.  Turning on or off a tap is pretty easy these days.

If you want a decentralized internet, you have to aovid the phone
companies. They're already co-opted, from a security-paranoia viewpoint.