[clue] [TALK] Request For Presentation Input

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Feb 22 23:02:37 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 10:52 -0700, Will wrote:
> I have singed on to give a presentation for the June meeting.  I'm
> leaning towards a talk that compares and contrasts GNU/Linux to
> the various commercial UNIXes.  This is a vary broad topic so if I
> cover a wide swath of it the talk will be vary high level to keep it
> to two hours.  Does any one have a request for a specific topic they
> would like to hear how each vendor implements/solves?  E.g.
> clustering, volume management, boot, partitioning/virtulazation, user
> land or big iron vs. commodity hardware.

I would really enjoy this talk and think it's a great idea.

The computer industry has matured and consolidated and we only have a
handful of widely used operating systems.  I'd really like to know in
practical examples what these other operating systems (Solaris, HP/UX,
and AIX) have done to earn a place in modern environments.

Most of these would be concepts that the average Linux user doesn't
think about but these are the features that keep high end enterprise
shops on those proprietary operating systems instead of Linux.

* HW and OS support collaborating to provide partitions.

* Advanced filesystems like Solaris ZFS

* Applications that add real value like your example, HP's Glance system
monitoring tool.

* Big iron vs commodity hardware sounds interesting to me.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services