[clue] [tech] Standard PHP distribution format?

Bruce Ediger bediger at stratigery.com
Sun Jul 24 11:17:20 MDT 2011

For obscure personal reasons, I've decided to familiarize myself with
PHP.  The "community" seems like that of Java: tons of resources exist,
of varying quality, with a lot on the low end of the quality scale.

My Google Fu is weak, because I can't find an answer for this:

Does a standard distribution format exist for PHP web applications?

You know, like a Java .war or .ear file, or perhaps one of the many
Linux package manager formats (RPM, pacman, Slackware, etc).

The PHP source code is distributed as a .tar.gz file. PHP installations
have the "phar" program, and ".phar" files analogous to .jar files. But
what's the convential, easy way to distibute a simple web app?