[clue] secure erase techniques?

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Wed Jun 1 11:04:57 MDT 2011

Chris,

Thanks for the actual numbers in your post.  On what CPU did you pull these
numbers?

Also, I think your calculations are wrong for overwriting a 300GB drive.  We
routinely write 1TB+ to drives and I have a chart of transfer rates for our
data folks.

1TB at 100MB/sec = 3 hours
1TB at 10MB/sec = 30 hours
1TB at 1MB/sec = 300 hours

We routinely hit 80 - 90MB/sec on 2TB HDDs, not 3MB/sec.

100MB/sec is about 1/3rd of the SATA bandwidth (I know that isn't exact but
for simplicity's sake I equate 1Gb/sec to 100MB/sec).  I think your SATA
speed calculation should be 3*1024^3 (kilobits, megabits, gigabits).

Dan Kulinski