[clue] [TECH] Are there websites that focus on FLOSS for hire ?

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 09:53:11 MDT 2011

I think any site where you can hire developers for work-for-hire will work.  In
a work-for-hire situation, you are the owner of the software and as owner you
determine under what license the software is released.  So you can even go
through a standard placement agency to find your programmer.  Just make sure
that whatever contract you and the developer(s) sign stipulates that you are
100% the owner of the software.  Make sure to disclose to the developer(s) that
you intend to release the software under a FLOSS license and that part of the
specification for the software is to make sure that the developer integrates the
license (inclusion of license, disclaimers, readme, etc.) before delivery.

Neat flow chart here
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/floss-license-slide.html

MIT (permissive; pretty much do whatever you want) and LGPL (weakly protective;
you can safely incorporate into proprietary code) are the most popular because
they tend to be the most pragmatic.  You only need the full GPL if you intend
the software to be free forever, for example GNU/Linux.