[clue] A Tech posting!)] [Tech

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Mon Jun 6 15:59:23 MDT 2011

Exactly right, Dennis.  Back in the '80s, my buddy Lou and I called ours
Fifth.  No, we weren't drinking (much) then; just seemed appropriate.

The "kernel" for a Forth-like language is tiny, almost trivial, and
could certainly be done (and was done, in those days), in about 512
bytes (or less) of assembler on ROM, which is why it was so popular for
embedded apps.

Hardware engineers, in particular, loved it because it "wasn't really a
programming language", just RPN...  But boy, in the right hands, for the
right purpose, it was powerful and effective -- we shipped several
products with Forth embedded as the driving engine.

   -- Lorin