[clue] Future directions for Ubuntu Studio

daryl kuchay daryl.kuchay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 16:41:25 MDT 2011

I've spent the last five years implementing streaming media systems. Network
storage feeding to set top boxes, usually running XBMC or Boxee. Ubuntu
alternate installer is something I am well familiar with as I avoid the
weight of the desktop in my builds.

Ubuntu 11.04 alternate did not play well with my new Asus E350-M1 Zacate
platform with New EFI BOS. On reboot I had absolutely no video signal to my
television. Tried db15 cable with DVI adapter, DVI, HDMI no luck. Its bad
luck to not have things hooked up via hdmi for the edid data. Tried a couple
of distributions. I was surprised at this as EFI has been supported for
years in the linux kernel.

So I am currently splitting hairs trying to get 1080p content to work with
an ATI driver on Slackware 13.37. Have to admit I was surprised to see
kernel 2.6.38.6 supporting all but multitouch on my Asus EEE tablet. Its
kind of refreshing after using Ubuntu for a while. I would equate it out to
driving a chrysler 300 for years and then hopping in a modded BMW 2002.
Lighter!