[clue] Future directions for Ubuntu Studio

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Tue Jun 7 16:08:26 MDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Lorin Ricker <Lorin at rickernet.us> wrote:
> over this past weekend, I came across the following blog by Scott Lavender:
>
>   "Confessions of a Ubuntu Studio Developer",
>   http://dullass.blogspot.com/
>
> His latest post, dated May 14, 2011, is entitled "Ubuntu Studio Moving
> to XFCE", and gives some compelling reasons why the Studio distro team
> has rejected Unity for this specific distro/purpose, and intends to make
> XFCE the default UI for 11.10 (Oneric Ocelot) and moving forward.

Good idea, imho. I've been a dedicated XFCE user for so long I can't
remember what I used before. Seriously... I think it was probably KDE
'cuz I've never cared much for gnome....

Anyway, XFCE is a very solid, medium-weight desktop environment. It's
faster than gnome and kde, but provides most of the same
functionality. And it's been getting better and better with every
release.

I wouldn't be surprised if more *buntu's switch over.

Michael Fierro                                      biffster at gmail.com
"The truth of the matter is, I'm a bright enough guy, but I'm hardly a
genius." - Cory Doctorow