[clue] linux certs? [TALK]

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Fri Jun 24 11:17:16 MDT 2011

Mike--

> So, as I'm sure those of you who read my mailing list blunder yesterday are already aware,  a recent blown opportunity has caused me to seriously question whether or not my lack of linux certs is jeopardizing my long term 6 month (+) goals.  I don't have a study/reimbursement program at work, so I'm probably on my own for it, and cost is an issue, so I wanted to ask around, get any advice people are willing to give on the benefits/costs of RHCT/LPIC.  Which ones are more important/most valuable, and what the best study materials are?

On a lark in 2005 I sat and passed ( just barely ) the RHCE. I had the lowest passing score of the group who took it. I had never read a book, nor did I take the class, or even had any real extensive Redhat experience at the time. Today, that would not be possible, nor am I'm not sure that could be done for the RHCSA ( RHCT no longer exists ); or at least that I could do that. What I can say is that if you have a few years of Linux mid-sized system experience, with any distro; and at least six months of heavy Redhat usage environment, then you have good chance of passing the RHCSA. I have not bothered to re-certify as my work ( data management ) really doesn't care about the distro, more just the kernel and underlying hardware. When I recently took a practice exam, these where the areas where I was lacking: Print services, SELinux ( God do I hate that, along with AppArmor ), Virtual machine management, Using Kickstart; all technologies that have no practical use for me.

There are number of decent books which are on the market, and quick Google search will bring up a number of training and practice exam sites. I would suggest that you get a book which included a practice exam. Take it to find out what you don't know, and then study. Ideally, apply those skills which you are learning in your workplace. If you can't, find some place who needs a part time system administrator and offer your services, for free if need be. Remember that you are looking for more experience. In the end having your RHCE can mean getting the job or not.

.r