[clue] seeking advice cleaning up root

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Tue Mar 22 09:05:04 MDT 2011

Chris--

> I'd be very interested in seeing references describing this concern
> with the use of symbolic links for relocating databases and tables in
> MySQL.    All I can find is this url
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/symbolic-links.html which
> encourages and describes exactly how to use the technique. Perhaps the
> pivotal sentence in the description is this one:
>
> "The recommended way to do this is simply to symlink databases to a
> different disk."

By taking one sentence out of context you can sound rather convincing. However if one takes the time to read the entire page, it comes evident fairly quickly that symlinks are more or less a hack. Also no where on that page does it recommend using symlinks, rather that if not other choice exists there is recommended way doing the that which is generally not recommended. But if you really want to get into a discussion on the shortcomings of the MySQL manual I'm more than happy to oblige. I can point out any number of places where the manual is misguided, missing or just plain wrong. Something which is characteristically true of any large software.

.r