[clue] Gnome 3

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Mon May 2 08:38:01 MDT 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 06:42:27AM -0600, Mike Bean wrote:
> ...  In advance of Ubuntu's adoption of Unity, I deserted them
> and am running Linux Mint, but seeing as how mint by and large uses the same
> repos as Ubuntu, I'm expecting it will be a while before I get a chance to
> try it.

Well, I updated one of the machines I have that runs Ubuntu this weekend,
and it is a simple matter to select Unity or Gnome2 when logging in (and
it stays set thereafter), so I can't complain about Unity ruining Ubuntu.
But, I imagine that 11.11 will have Gnome3 instead, and that doesn't have
a reasonable fallback to a Gnome2-ish interface, so I will likely be moving
to Xfce (or another, perhaps) with ubuntu 11.11.  The Fedora 15 release
will raise the issue first, though.  I can already hear my wife complaining
about why they have to change things -- she gets upset about even minor
changes..

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org