[clue] Nuttiness over Natty Unity

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:50:14 MDT 2011

In defense of the devil, beyond the simple fact that unity is controversial
and that controversy is interesting, I think there is perhaps some
legitimate concern that gnome2 won't be maintained much longer. True, it's
linux, you could always just fork it, but that's an awful lot of work as
long as other alternatives exist, such as KDE, xfce, ubuntu.  Heck, even
Xmonad.

Honestly not sure what I think about the whole thing.  It is at least,
intellectually interesting to me that an intellectual subject could be quite
so hotly debated on an aspect of it that is cheaply aesthetic.   We've had
some discussion of technical merits, is it locked down...etc..., but 80% of
all the 11.04 discussion I've heard so far, has come down to, I don't like
Unity (usually for aesthetic reasons).

For my own purposes, I'm probably going to end up sticking with "traditional
desktops" for as long as I realistically can.  I feel like there are PLENTY
of things to learn (my cup runneth over) without (to steal something Dennis
said), embracing change just for change's sake.  (Not better, just
different.)