[clue] command line programming

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri May 13 14:40:35 MDT 2011

Jim Ockers wrote:
> I strongly recommend that you read "The UNIX Programming Environment" by
> Kernighan&  Pike because it will familiarize you with the whole system
> and how to program it.

This is a great book.  It is one that is so fundamental it doesn't go out of date.  But it doesn't
repeat itself and it was written at a time when people coming to UNIX tended to know how computers
worked.

At the beginning of RUTE it points out that you have to read system references 3 times to get a
reasonable picture of what to do.  K&P's book will reward the patient reader but may frustrate the
impatient.

I'm using RUTE to teach an intro to Linux but it assumes an understanding of computer architecture
(it's written for people migrating from DOS to UNIX).  It's a good book, I think, especially if you
take time to do the examples and experiment with them.  But it doesn't cover absolutely everything,
in spite of its 44 chapters.