[clue] command line programming

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri May 13 11:40:31 MDT 2011

Louis:

Louis Miller wrote:
> Could someone recommend a book or website on programming in Python from the Command Line? Maybe, I should also specify a caveat. That would be a website or book that doesn't assume prior knowledge.
>
> I started using computers about 4 years ago, beyond just e-mail and websites at the library, so I'm from a different era than most of you. Many of you probably used the command line with DOS, before you ever got into UNIX. I have mostly used the GUI.
>
> Louis

I strongly recommend that you read "The UNIX Programming Environment" by
Kernighan & Pike because it will familiarize you with the whole system
and how to program it. Python is just a specific case, I recommend you
learn the general principles and design philosophy as a foundation for
your exploration of systems programming. Note all the 5-star reviews on
Amazon for this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Unix-Programming-Environment-Prentice-Hall-Software/dp/013937681X

Hope this helps,
Jim