[clue] IPv6 and Comcast

Aaron D. Johnson adj at fnord.greeley.co.us
Sat May 14 22:23:36 MDT 2011

Chris Hirsch writes:
> > Anyone have IPv6 up and running with the comcast trials,
> > preferably on a debian system?
>
> I tried to figure out how to sign up and I couldn't figure it
> out. Let me know if you have better luck.

There is no sign up needed.  If you have a Comcast provided IPv4
address, you can use their 6RD tunnel services.  The closed beta
sign-up thing was, I think, simply there to keep a managable number of
calls for support happening while they figured out how to do the
tunnels.

Naturally, there's no support available.  But it works.  (For me, at
least.)

I do not know anything about their current plans or timelines for
getting native dual stack (no tunneling needed) connections to their
customers.  Based on reading I did months ago, they believe new
customer premise equipment is going to be needed.  I haven't had any
calls, email, or snail mail about a replacement for my several years
old, leased Motorola SB5100.  (And I haven't looked at comcast6.net
for a number of weeks now, so I can't say how out of date any of my
slide deck or mailing list info is.)

Hope this helps.

- Aaron