[clue] IPv6 and Comcast

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun May 15 06:47:44 MDT 2011

On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:23:36 -0600
"Aaron D. Johnson" <adj at fnord.greeley.co.us> wrote:

> Chris Hirsch writes:
> > > Anyone have IPv6 up and running with the comcast trials,
> > > preferably on a debian system?
> >
> > I tried to figure out how to sign up and I couldn't figure it
> > out. Let me know if you have better luck.
>
> There is no sign up needed.  If you have a Comcast provided IPv4
> address, you can use their 6RD tunnel services.  The closed beta
> sign-up thing was, I think, simply there to keep a managable number of
> calls for support happening while they figured out how to do the
> tunnels.

Yeah, you can use the 6rd tunnels until they turn them off. ;)

"On the one year anniversary of this activation, June 30, 2011, these
6RD border relays will be turned off, as they are no longer needed
given the advanced state of our IPv6 testing and our Native Dual Stack strategy"

> Naturally, there's no support available.  But it works.  (For me, at
> least.)
>
> I do not know anything about their current plans or timelines for
> getting native dual stack (no tunneling needed) connections to their
> customers.  Based on reading I did months ago, they believe new
> customer premise equipment is going to be needed.  I haven't had any
> calls, email, or snail mail about a replacement for my several years
> old, leased Motorola SB5100.  (And I haven't looked at comcast6.net
> for a number of weeks now, so I can't say how out of date any of my
> slide deck or mailing list info is.)

They are supposedly doing a trial of dual stack setups in colorado, but
it's closed (ie, they pick you, you can't sign up). ;(

kevin