[clue] dual boot

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Tue May 17 10:52:41 MDT 2011

Yes, an Ubuntu install is pretty careful about setting up dual-boot
if/when it encounters a disk with Win already installed.  Ubuntu will
not only (offer to) partition things for you, but will set up grub (and
its boot-time menus) pretty automatically for the dual-boot.  It's
almost always recommended to have a Win-installation first, then install
Linux (Ubuntu), rather than the other way around, because Windoze
doesn't "get it" about dual-installs, and won't usually play nice with
the other OS; it frequently rewrites the boot-sequence to a solo boot,
me-first-&-only Windoze config.

I've had only good luck with it on the dual-installs I've done, so it
seems to me to be pretty fool-proof.  Of course, your mileage may vary,
so do be careful and alert -- back up the Windoze stuff that's
absolutely essential (personal data) to you, just in case.  You can
always do a scorched-earth reinstall -- of everything -- if things go
badly wrong... but they'll likely go really right, instead.  Keep us posted.

best regards,
   -- Lorin