[clue] dual boot

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Tue May 17 07:39:52 MDT 2011

My advice is to either resize and create a new partition on the
current system disk using partition magic (windows) or gparted (linux)
then do a basic dual boot install onto initial disk.  Use the second
disk as your linux /home drive.    The Ubuntu install disk will take
care of the re partition and install process for you pretty well and
give you a reasonable gui to monitor the process.  I'm sure other
distros do something similar but I have not played with others for
quite some time.

Be sure not to stomp on the windows recovery partitions that come with
most newer systems and create the windows recovery disk before going
too far or you won't be able to recover from a mistake.

You don't need much space for the linux boot partition.  50G or so is
plenty.   Use the second disk as /home.  Having /home on a different
disk makes future linux upgrades easier.

Just my two bits.
cfedde