[clue] Xorg presentation in the fall

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue May 17 14:02:52 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 13:32 -0600, Matt Dew wrote:
> Mike Bean brought up a really good point a while back. Why are there no
> open source conferences in Denver?  Apparently no one is interested
> enough to make it happen.  Well, consider this my attempt at helping to
> make Denver a geek hub that would welcome a linux/OSS conference.

Exactly my sentiment back in '99-2000 when I ran CLIQ.  However, it was
more work than I could handle (the second year I ran it from Houston,
after I moved there - I'm back in the Springs now).

I've said in the past I'm willing to organize it again.  But it takes a
dedicated group to get it done.  One or two guys alone would be severely
overworked.  You have to do a bit of foot work (or phone work) to drum
up the sponsors so that individual entrance fees are kept low enough to
entice the entire Mountain region, not to mention pulling in West
coasters and the Midwest.  And finding affordable space may be a problem
these days - CLIQ was at the Marriott Tech Center and 8x10 booths were
something like $400.  Entrance fees were about $40, if I remember
correctly. But we managed to get some good speakers.  Maddog was here.
So was Rasmus Lerdorf.  I'm pretty sure BDale Garbee (ex-Debian honcho)
was here.  Didn't Linus come?  Someone with better memory than me would
have to remind me.  I gave a GIMP talk.  Sean did one for Python I
think.  Anyway, they were pretty good conferences.  Just a looooot of
work.

FYI - I'm more interested in embedded stuff now.  So I'd be more
interested in bringing in BeagleBoard, Arduino, Atmel (AVR), Angstrom,
Yocto, Linaro, kernel dudes, compiler dudes and the Crosstool-NG dude,
Buildroot and Das U-Boot, etc.  I just don't think there is a minimum
level of interest to support such a conference here.  I'd like to be
proven wrong, however.

If you do want to try this I recommend collaborating with the leaders of
BLUG, CSOpenSource, NCLUG and any others you can round up.  Build on
people who have already shown an existing sense of responsibility to
follow through.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>