[clue] Xorg presentation in the fall

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed May 18 10:27:21 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 15:21 -0600, YES NOPE9 wrote:
> I volunteer to be one of your myrmidons.

I don't know that term, but I assume you're hoping I'll lead.  I'll need
more minions, then.  Don't count on it unless we get a critical mass of
people (definitely more than 3).

> I would like to expand the charter of CLUE to engulf FLOSS / POSH.

I don't know POSH either.  I think CLUE always included low level
development in its "charter".  At least it did back when I helped start
it with Mark and Eric.  BLUG tended to be more technical in that respect
and CLUE tended to be more business oriented (Boulder vs Tech Center -
made sense).  At least back in the day.  Things change.

> Does Denver/Boulder/COSprings/FtCollins  have enough geeks ?????

IMHO:

The region is dominated by web development and storage systems.  There
is a fairly large number of apps developers (iPad, Android).  These tend
to drive user-space and scripted development - lots of python folks
around.  The Springs has lots of government/military types, many of
which seem fixed on Java.  The majority of the front range appears to be
focused on user space.

To my knowledge, board bring up and infrastructure development is not as
highly represented.  Atmel has a presence in the Springs.  HP does
printers up in Longmont.  Of course, there is Sparkfun in Boulder.
Beyond that, I'm not aware of much consumer (or business/govt/military)
device development at the board level.

I'd like to see more stuff like BeagleBoard happening.  Maybe its just
early for this kind of thing, like the early days of Linux.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>