[clue] Xorg presentation in the fall

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed May 18 11:14:00 MDT 2011

Hi MJH,

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 15:21 -0600, YES NOPE9 wrote:
>
>> I volunteer to be one of your myrmidons.
>>

> I don't know that term, but I assume you're hoping I'll lead.  I'll need
> more minions, then.  Don't count on it unless we get a critical mass of
> people (definitely more than 3).
>

>> I would like to expand the charter of CLUE to engulf FLOSS / POSH.
>>

> I don't know POSH either.  I think CLUE always included low level
> development in its "charter".  At least it did back when I helped start
> it with Mark and Eric.  BLUG tended to be more technical in that respect
> and CLUE tended to be more business oriented (Boulder vs Tech Center -
> made sense).  At least back in the day.  Things change.
>

>> Does Denver/Boulder/COSprings/FtCollins  have enough geeks ?????
>>

> IMHO:
>
> The region is dominated by web development and storage systems.  There
> is a fairly large number of apps developers (iPad, Android).  These tend
> to drive user-space and scripted development - lots of python folks
> around.  The Springs has lots of government/military types, many of
> which seem fixed on Java.  The majority of the front range appears to be
> focused on user space.
>
> To my knowledge, board bring up and infrastructure development is not as
> highly represented.  Atmel has a presence in the Springs.  HP does
> printers up in Longmont.  Of course, there is Sparkfun in Boulder.
> Beyond that, I'm not aware of much consumer (or business/govt/military)
> device development at the board level.
>
> I'd like to see more stuff like BeagleBoard happening.  Maybe its just
> early for this kind of thing, like the early days of Linux.

We are doing commercial device development at the board level. I am
interested in anything to do with this including presentations, topics, etc.

We are looking at BeagleBoard with Arduino boards for ADC and digital
I/O. Right now we are on industrial controller PC hardware running a
flavor of Linux with the custom I/O board connected to the PC104 bus,
and Gateworks Avila router running a different flavor of Linux (OpenWRT)
for the network & management interfaces. I hope
Android+Beagleboard+Arduino makes it easy to get our ADC and I/O
applications working; part of the attraction of Android is the M2M
(machine to machine) networking capabilities over 3G cell networks that
Android probably makes very easy to use, since it might be considered
sort of a telecom distribution of embedded Linux.

I guess if we get really good at Android, BeagleBoard, and Arduino at
some point in the future, I could give a talk about it.

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/msi.html