[clue] Webserver's purpose

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Wed May 25 11:27:34 MDT 2011

I moved away from shared hosting to a VPS due to several reasons:

Security, reliability and performance.

In regards to security, shared hosting is and always will be a miss.  There
is no true partitioning.

Reliability, I install a minimum of software to run exactly what I need.
Sure a VPS is oversold but the controls are much more strict on how
resources are provisioned.

Finally performance, I don't have nearly the hiccups I have had on a shared
host.  I can manage all the services and their configurations directly.

To me the complexity is with shared hosting but then again I don't look at
it strictly from a users perspective since I am a systems administrator by
trade.

Dan