[clue] [tech] Linux-supported Data Acquisition OEM module with USB interface?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Oct 12 16:22:04 MDT 2011

Hi CLUEbies,

I'm doing a bit of research and I need to find an OEM data acquisition
module which I can use from a Linux program.  That is, it has to have
Linux libraries.  Most of what I find on the 'net is for Windows and
they have Labview libraries with only Microsoft Windows support.  I
found one company mccdaq.com which has a USB OEM module (the USB-7000
series supports Linux) but those have not enough digital I/Os or else
low resolution (12-bit) analog input.  Their more powerful boards are
Windows only.

Any ideas from the CLUE audience about where to look?  This is for an
embedded industrial control type application that also requires high
resolution (very high accuracy & precision) sampling of some analog
inputs.  We need 16-bit resolution at least.  It doesn't have to be
fast, 4Hz is what we have now.  We need at least 16 digital I/O and 8
16-bit analog input.  Isolation is good too.

It'd be nice to get a prepackaged board with software but I've thought
about trying to roll my own with Arduino.  The only A/D example I see
for the Arduino is 12-bit resolution.  I guess I could put them back to
back as differential inputs and get 24-bit resolution, but either way
that is a fair bit of hardware complexity and time/effort that I'd
rather just buy.

Thanks,
Jim

--