[clue] small intro and backup question

Nic Young nryoung at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:52:39 MDT 2011

Hello,

I have been lurking the mailing list and irc for about 6 months now and I
have sadly not been able to make a meeting. I just wanted to do a small
intro about myself and ask a question about backups on home servers.

I am currently a junior at UCD full time studying Computer Science. I also
work almost full time as a jr. sysadmin at a environmental testing company.
I mostly administer Windows servers, but I was able to successfully convince
my boss to move from Spiceworks (*shudder*) to Nagios on CentOS for system
monitoring. I was able to install and configure Nagios here at work and I am
always looking for new ways to introduce Linux in to my work environment.

Now to my question:

I have recently set up a home server running CentOS 6.0 . I have set up
vsftpd, apache, and samba. This server is my primary server for storing all
of my data. I have all of my data on a 1TB hd and I have recently acquired
another 1TB hd. What is the best method of backing up my data to the other
hard drive? I have looked at rsync, BackupPC and Amanda and I am frankly
confused as to which would be best to suite my needs. Also do you guys do
full bi-weekly backups or daily incremental or something else?

I appreciate your time in reading this and I look forwarding to meeting some
of you in the near future. Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Nic Young