[clue] Monitoring web surfing

Jason Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Fri Oct 14 22:43:06 MDT 2011

>> I have a couple of children in the house whose web activity I want to
>> monitor.
>
>> http://www.opendns.com/home/commandcentral
>
>>...produces a  list of domains that my modem has
>> resolved for someone in this house.
>

> I'm not a fan of web filtering or monitoring, but - it may be good
> parenting. That said, I'd use a transparent proxy, because any
> DNS-based solution is only good until they figure out they can specify
> their own DNS server addresses and bypass your filtering.
>
> You won't catch any URLs that get resolved beyond your modem.

Understood.  It will be a while yet before they reach that level of
sophistication.
In fact, my plan is to show them the lists of domains that have been
surfed, to prove it can be done, and then to ignore the OpenDNS
reports.
I liken it to the "This House is Protected By ..." sign in front of
houses that allegedly have alarm systems.