[clue] small intro and backup question

Jeremy Slade jeremy at jkslade.net
Fri Oct 14 14:48:40 MDT 2011

I've really liked dirvish for backing up my home network:
http://dirvish.org/

It uses rsync and stores the backups as incremental snapshots using hard
links.

I backup my linux server/workstation and two Windows desktops to an
external usb HDD (500G) attached to the linux server. The backup runs
nightly, and I rotate between a pair of HDD's on a monthly basis.

However, this has been a fairly high-touch solution, with pretty
primitive management tools. After using it for about two years, I am now
trying out CrashPlan: http://crashplan.com/.

CrashPlan installation was painless, management app seems to work well.
So far I have 6 systems being backed up to their cloud storage service.
I like that I can easily backup to off-site and to local systems as
well. The $120/year cost for unlimited storage seems very reasonable to me.

Regards,
Jeremy