[clue] small intro and backup question

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 14:49:33 MDT 2011

I am learning to love duplicity.  The flexibility it has plus
full/incremental setup is nice.  And it can backup windows clients as
well so you can start tying them in as well.

Robert

On 10/14/11 14:27, Will wrote:
> I run rsync to a remote plug computer once a day. You can use Rsync
> to do local backups as well. but since you are runnign on one disk
> you may wantt to think about using software RAID or LVM to mirror
> your drives.
>
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
>
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Nic Young <nryoung at gmail.com
> <mailto:nryoung at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have been lurking the mailing list and irc for about 6 months
> now and I have sadly not been able to make a meeting. I just
> wanted to do a small intro about myself and ask a question about
> backups on home servers.
>
> I am currently a junior at UCD full time studying Computer
> Science. I also work almost full time as a jr. sysadmin at a
> environmental testing company. I mostly administer Windows
> servers, but I was able to successfully convince my boss to move
> from Spiceworks (*shudder*) to Nagios on CentOS for system
> monitoring. I was able to install and configure Nagios here at
> work and I am always looking for new ways to introduce Linux in
> to my work environment.
>
> Now to my question:
>
> I have recently set up a home server running CentOS 6.0 . I have
> set up vsftpd, apache, and samba. This server is my primary
> server for storing all of my data. I have all of my data on a
> 1TB hd and I have recently acquired another 1TB hd. What is the
> best method of backing up my data to the other hard drive? I
> have looked at rsync, BackupPC and Amanda and I am frankly
> confused as to which would be best to suite my needs. Also do
> you guys do full bi-weekly backups or daily incremental or
> something else?
>
> I appreciate your time in reading this and I look forwarding to
> meeting some of you in the near future. Thanks!
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Nic Young

- --

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                       - Manowar