[clue] free e-book: Linux From Scratch

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Wed Sep 14 12:00:49 MDT 2011

A pointer to this free downloadable e-book came to me via one of my
Linux groups on LinkedIn:

http://bit.ly/nXj2Vr
(
http://www.itpublications.info/2011/09/linux-from-scratch-free-ebook.html )

To download it, you'll end up "registering" with IT Publications, for
whatever that's worth (including headaches), but the e-book is, IMHO,
worth it:  318 pages of HowTo on building your own Linux install from
scratch, and why you might consider doing so.  I'm guessing that, even
if I don't decide to build a Linux from scratch, a read-through of this
material will teach and illuminate much.

This e-book is "Linux From Scratch", Version 6.6, created by Gerard
Beekmans, edited by Matthew Burgess and Bruce Dubbs, (c) 1999-2010,
licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Major sections include:  Prefatory material (why, audiences, etc.); I.
Introduction (how to, what's new, changelog, resources); II. Preparing
for the Build (partitioning, packages, dependencies, creating a
temporary system); III. Building the LFS System (extensive... the core
of the work); IV. Appendices (acronyms & terms, dependencies, boot &
config scripts, Udev config rules, LFS licenses).

Worth a look...
best regards,
   -- Lorin