[clue] social engineering

Fri Apr 27 12:25:48 MDT 2012

That was excellent. I just got a call from Nigeria or something.

"Sor, dere's a prooblem wid your computer..."

So, I play along. Here are some highlights, in brief.

Them: <Windows> +r
Me: Nothing happens.
Them: Open IE
Me: I don't have that.
Them: OK, go to www.support.me .
Me: OK... < browser redirects to "https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/Customer/Code.aspx" >
Them: Enter "904661"
Me: OK... < browser wants to download an executable >
Them: Save the file
Me: OK... < I save it. >
Them: Run the file.
Me: Um... Really? I don't think so. Give me your call-back number...
Them: I'm not authorized to give the call-back number until we've confirmed the problem.
Me: Nice... But you don't seriously expect me to run this, do you? <rant, obscenity, rage>
Them: OK, it's your choice.
Me: This shit probably wouldn't run right in WINE, anyway. ..
Them: What?
Me: Nevermind. <click>

Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 Ubuntu