[clue] Gnome Shell [TALK/opinion]

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 10:23:47 MDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Mike Bean <beandaemon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux box is broke again.  Window manager isn't booting/starting.  Probably
> try to troubleshoot it in a few days, but I must confess I'm losing patience
> with Gnome Shell.
> was curious to ask some of the "lifers" if it was like this when KDE broke itself.  (I seem to recall hearing many complaints about KDE 4 and many of the impressions I'd gotten said that it
> took YEARS for KDE to clean itself up to its current state.)

Two things.

1. I'm not sure that KDE broke itself. There is always a little bit of
jitter after a new release. That's all.

2. In my experience, with the appropriate distro, it only took YEAR
not YEARS to locate a stable release. At the time I was still running
sidux (now renamed). I tried Kbuntu then stumbled on PCLinuxOS where I
am now. I put up a later version of Kbuntu a couple of months back,
only to find that it seemed to be stuck at a 2-3 year old point of
usability (IMO sucks badly).

KDE4 is just different enough that not everyone has been smart enough
to exploit the new structure.

Take this with a grain of salt, however. I have few demands for a
desktop. I don't even use a gui file manager! On my netbook I run
pclos LXDE, and that provides 99% of everything I need. But the pclos
KDE4 dektop has worked just fine for 2+ years, so why muck with it.

Another disclaimer: I've never much liked Gnome, and I wouldn't touch
Unity with a long fork.

--
Collins Richey