[clue] Some preparation before my talk

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Mon Aug 13 09:12:33 MDT 2012

If you would like to follow along, here is the system layout I am
currently using:

CentOS 6.3
I started with a minimal install and added the following:

Package groups (installed with yum groupinstall "package name")
Virtualization
Virtualization Tools
Virtualization Client
Desktop Platform
Fonts

Here are the separate packages I installed:
virt-viewer
libguestfs-tools

I have also created a network bridge and turned off SELinux.

To disable SELinux, edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and change enforcing
to disabled and then reboot.

Here are my steps for creating a network bridge:
cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0
TYPE="Bridge"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
ONBOOT="yes"

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BRIDGE="br0"

service network restart

I have tried this on Ubuntu but the version of libguestfs-tools on
Ubuntu is out of date with upstream and will not work correctly on a
RHEL6 image.  Red Hat has back ported the changes so these tools will
work properly.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I will be bringing in my
desktop that is currently setup to work and is running the setup I
based my presentation on.

Dan