[clue] Acenet.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Dec 31 14:21:55 MST 2012

Chris Fedde wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.  $20/month seems like a lot to spend for one
> mailing list.

Maybe so.  A long time ago we used donated hardware hosted for free in a commercial space.  People
at the time thought that dealing with hardware sucked so they switched to a VPS.  IME getting money
to pay for the VPS sucks more than dealing with hardware, but I probably wasn't around for most of
the hardware woes.  But it doesn't suck that much.

We could probably find something other than our own mail server to manage our list.  Google must
have something and turning into a meet-up group or whatever might also provide similar capabilities.

But I like having control over our archive.  I like using email rather than web forums.  And I like
administering servers.  So I'm not investing time in redesigning our infrastructure.

I guess before I spend any time trying to move to a cheaper solution I'd have to ask Tummy if they'd
give us a VPS, because they probably would.

And getting into the could would be interesting, but I don't know that we could get that cheaply enough.