[clue] [On Topic - Linux] Latest PCLinuxOS KDE release

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 07:58:26 MST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM, rex evans <rexfordevans at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I always associated KDE with a graphical user interface, leastwise
> it was back in the last century. Now, I see it is an OS. Branding??
>
> So, do you run Ubuntu on any computer anymore?

KDE is a desktop manager / graphical user interface (like Gnome, XFCE,
LXDE, E17, etc.), not an os.

No, I haven't run *buntu on anything since I put up PCLinuxOS. Even
when I ran it, I always ran Kubuntu. I tired rather quickly of all the
hoopla associated with a new release every few months.

At the time I put up PCLinuxOS, KDE4 was in its infancy, and I was
looking for a better KDE4 offering. Most of the other choices at that
time didn't have a very usable KDE4 setup.

I came from a Sidux (bleeding/leading edge Debian rolling release),
but that distro got tied up with politics and changed names, and I was
looking for another rolling release. I considered, Arch, but found the
structure to to rather odd for my tastes.  PCLinusOS is a good
compromise between bleeding/leading edge (eg. pretty good wireless
support) and rock-solid stable.

One caution with regard to rolling releases. You need to stay current
with maintenance, or you may have a broken system. PCLinuxOS
recommends twice monthly upgrades. There's only so much the packagers
can do with installing new versions in the right order if the base
system is too far out of date.

--
Collins Richey