[clue] Password generation - oplop

miguelito at biffster.org miguelito at biffster.org
Fri Feb 10 10:34:06 MST 2012

On Monday, February 06, 2012 03:44:55 PM Keith Hellman wrote:

> For myself, I use my own free-form text file that I edit only with the
> gnupg.vim plugin.

I use LastPass for normal website passwords, but I also do a gpg-encrypted
text file, too. I use a VERY basic standard format:

Account name (something I can remember)
user: xxxxxxxx
pass: xxxxxxxx

I then use a little one-line bash alias to quickly query my password file:

 alias pw='gpg -q -d ~/mypasswords.txt.gpg | grep -A2 -i'

From any console I can then type:

 pw account

And I'll get back my three lines of information. (Or more if I have more than
one account that matches. e.g. I keep all of my various XMPP passwords in this
file: doing "pw xmpp" returns all of them.)

It's obviously using grep, so I can be as specific or as generic as I want to
be.

> And I have a ~/bin/randompasswd that will generate random passwords of
> arbitrary bit strength.

I like apg. It generates a list of pronouncable passwords (produces 6 by
derfault). You pick any one of them and type it in wherever you need the new
password for. Anyone who might be reading your screen won't know which of the
6 you are actually using.

You can configure the number of passwords generated, whether to use
pronouncable or truly random passwords, set the min/max length of passwords,
specify what character sets can/cannot be used (e.g. lower-case, upper-case,
numbers, special symbols). It's really good!

Sample default output:

 Please enter some random data (only first 16 are significant)
 (eg. your old password):>
 efNecijwish0 (ef-Nec-ij-wish-ZERO)
 9OdubeamOo (NINE-Od-ub-eam-Oo)
 oymOswax8 (oym-O-swax-EIGHT)
 kerdEutusuv0 (kerd-Eut-us-uv-ZERO)
 Nopnaut8 (Nop-naut-EIGHT)
 slejoshImp6 (slej-osh-Imp-SIX)

--
Michael Fierro
biffster at gmail.com
"...one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic life forms it has been
my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting." - Douglas Adams