[clue] Password generation - oplop

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Mon Feb 6 15:44:55 MST 2012

I've installed KeePass for my wife's (work) notebook.  It seems to work
OK.

For myself, I use my own free-form text file that I edit only with the
gnupg.vim plugin.

And I have a ~/bin/randompasswd that will generate random passwords of
arbitrary bit strength.

It all stays on my notebook, encrypted backups are on my home server.

I have never considered storing my passwords on someone else's machine
--- I don't think I would.

When I travel I carry a USB drive with a windows version of gpg, my
private key, and the encrypted file --- just in case.

A reasonably strong passphrase is used for my private key.  I estimate
the strength to be about 35-46 bits.  That's all my feeble fingers have
the memory for.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu 9FCF40FD
        Y!M: mcprogramming                       AIM/ICQ: 485403897
        jabber: mrtuple at jabber.org     irc: freenode.net as mrtuple
                                   -*-

"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong
impulse to see it tried on him personally."

-- Abraham Lincoln
   http://columbia.thefreedictionary.com/Lincoln,+Abraham