[clue] revisiting boot partition and LVM + grub

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 16:59:45 MST 2012

________________________________
 From: Aaron D. Johnson <adj at fnord.greeley.co.us>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:20 PM
Subject: Re: [clue] revisiting boot partition and LVM + grub

mike havlicek writes:
> I always put /boot on a dedicated "traditional" partition but have
> been thinking about LVM and seem to recall somewhere sometime ago it
> being suggested that /boot could be on a logical volume. It seems
> that it was more a grub issue...???
>
> Any pointers to why /boot can or can't be on a logical volume. IE
> possibility/impossibility of building a system that can boot from a
> single disk with only "8e" partition type?

You don't mention what distro you're running, but there's an article
with some promising information to be found at
http://jim.studt.net/depository/index.php/debian-lenny-and-grub-with-boot-in-lvm
Thanks,

I am initially just looking at setting up a "palette" on a usb stick to run on my laptop. I am
 installing
from some dumps of ubuntu jeos 8.04LTS based system, CentOS, possibly trying some installs from
Debian 6.04, Fedora 16, ubuntu 10.04, CentOS 6.2 ... I imagine that the grubiness would have to be
massaged from a rescue type boot.... (looks like getting/creating an initrd to support loading lvm could be fun...)
 After reading David's response it looked like there was some ubuntu.com reference
to the /boot within lvm and the systemrescueCD page seems to have some info as well.... At the
moment I haven't read on, am testing my dumps without messing with the partitioning into lvm.

The idea I am working on is that the flash stick is a little limited on space, so having easy resize
capability with /boot might be worthwhile on that media..... Also in general I tend to make
/boot small (128M) and have occasionally gotten into trouble with updates.... and cleaning up kernels ...
(particularly with
 the ubuntu...)

-Mike

I can't say if there are any distro installers that support it at this
point.  I don't recall it being an option with Fedora 15, and it's
definitely not something the Debian 6.0 installer can handle.

[I had a big bunch of text in here describing my setup, but it's not
really relevant (/boot is in an MD RAID1 mirror, not on a logical
volume, and there are _no_ type 8e "partitions" (GPT, baby!).]

Let us know how it goes.

- Aaron