[clue] revisiting boot partition and LVM + grub

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Feb 23 22:51:55 MST 2012

Aaron D. Johnson wrote:

> I can't say if there are any distro installers that support it at this
> point.  I don't recall it being an option with Fedora 15, and it's
> definitely not something the Debian 6.0 installer can handle.

I've been booting from /boot on LVM (on RAID sometimes) for a long time.  But I guess I haven't done
an install in a long time.

When most of the world switched to GRUB I stayed with LILO because it could boot off LVM.
Installers had no problem with that (though I never used guided partitioning).

Upgrading from LILO to GRUB2 is easy (on Debian anyway).  I have one machine that hasn't been
because the BIOS lies to GRUB2 and I haven't got round to testing the GRUB2 workaround sufficiently.

Nowadays if an installer uses GRUB2 I'd think that it would be easy enough to put /boot there (and /
too, which might have mattered at some point).  But maybe there's more to it than that.