[clue] Cory Doctorow - war on general computing [talk]

Mon Jan 2 13:22:33 MST 2012

May I state my hard-won belief on and around such things?

We need less law and more forbearance.

We have developed the habit of thinking that we can improve relationships with legislation, litigation, or other forms of force, and far too often we believe that violence, legislation, or litigation is the only way to make a particular relationship, or set of relationships, work. Nothing, in my opinion, could be further from the truth.

I know no-one whose best effort can be produced by force. No one.

So, if/when I'm asked what the government should do about just about anything, I will answer, "nothing" or "much, much less."

Men, freely associated and joined by agreements that are as binding as their own sense of honor, can accomplish everything you might have wanted from a government, from a set of laws, and do a better job of it.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.