[clue] [ADMIN] More Odds and end's 2012m01d24

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Tue Jan 24 10:58:54 MST 2012

Actually I think Crawford was saying that forming a 501C3 entity is complex
and actually costly.  He also points out that previous efforts on a Drupal
site seem to have dried up.  I remember the previous attempt, page loads
were 10+ seconds at the time.

David actually said he would not be willing to lead.  I completely respect
this statement.  He also states that he is creating more educational
opportunities, this is excellent!  I heard nothing but good things from the
BASH course he held and I am looking forward to what comes up next.

As for me, I am a problem fixer.  I must find out why things break and what
I can do to improve on the situation.  It is why I enjoy being a full time
systems administrator and becoming one for high performance compute systems
stretched my talents and abilities even further.  I'm freely offering my
help because I think it is for a good time.  Crawford rightfully points out
that people believe their time was wasted on the previous iteration of the
Drupal website.  It was live shortly and then cut off and languished and
died.  That is the events from my point of view, what may have actually
happened I honestly don't know.

Here is some of my history since none of you have met me yet:
I have been a Linux/UNIX systems administrator for 14 years.  I started
with IBM in 1997 and then in 2000 I moved into the Oil and Gas world
working for Ion Geophysical.  About 2002 we built our first cluster.  Since
then I have moved to Global Geophysical in 2008 and worked on larger, more
complex clusters since.  I am regularly involved in creating new services
for IT to better serve our users.  Troubleshooting is one of my fortes and
I helped to uncover a serious performance issue in the Lustre 1.6.6
release.  I really do enjoy problem solving and I am happy to offer my
skills up to CLUE or a group that intends to help spread knowledge to
others.  Linux is a wonderful operating system.  I have been using it since
1993 when I discovered it in high school.  In fact my first UNIX
installation was NetBSD on a Mac SE 30.  Luckily I had a math teacher that
encouraged me to explore my obsession with this OS.  I spent many nights
downloading the floppy based release of MLM and Slackware.  In fact I
beleive I still have an old MLM release.

So hopefully I can bring so skills to the table that can help to
troubleshoot the server side.  I have run my own VPS for years and plan to
until the day I die.  It is my home on the Internet and it allows me to
explore my creative urges at will.

Please feel free to contact me about my web site or any other tech related
topic.  I have always enjoyed exploring the latest technology has to offer
and spreading that joy will always be something I look forward too.

Dan Kulinski