[clue] HTPC systems?

nick pitlosh nickpitlosh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 12:06:30 MDT 2012

Look up pxe, ltsp, VMware unity, use myth. Storage is the most important
aspect of this and there are quite a few people that misunderstand load and
io operation wait time. Get small ssds and raid them together to resolve
that. Using a ram disk for buffer is also an excellent idea.

Back that up with large disks on a nice multichannel Sata card and use port
multipliers until the Sata channels are completely saturated. On Sata 3,
you can expect each channel to need 5 to ten spindle disks to saturate the
link. Transfer on ssds is exceptional but expensive, expect a newer ssd to
be around 3 times faster in throughput, but 2 to 3 orders of magnitude
faster in terms of random io. Ram is 2 to 3 orders of magnitude faster than
that.

That's my 2 cents and I wish you patience and clarity. Don't be a fanboy.

Nick