[clue] Comments on Base Install Packages (Centos 6.2)

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Fri Jul 20 11:41:31 MDT 2012

And as promised I started up a CentOS 6.2 VM and got this running.  My
steps (with dummy passwords):

yum install httpd mysql-server mysql php php-mysql
service mysqld start
mysqladmin -u root password rootpw
mysqladmin -r root -p create wordpress
mysql -u root -p mysql
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON wordpress.* TO wordpress at localhost
IDENTIFIED BY 'wordpress';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> exit
mysql -u wordpress -p wordpress # This verified my new account worked
service httpd start
cd /var/www/html
wget http://wordpress.org/latest.tar.gz
tar xvfz latest.tar.gz
chown -R apache.apache wordpress

After this I opened a browser, and navigated to
http://<hostname>/wordpress and ran through the steps to setup the DB
with no problems.  You can check out the site at
http://vps2.kulinski.net/wordpress

If I need to make this a real site I would add the following commands:

chkconfig httpd on
chkconfig mysqld on

Was your install on a fresh 6.2 installation?  I suspect the DB didn't
start because of a previous installation with a root password set.

Dan