[clue] Resolved: Centos 6.2 KVM Installs (and Bang Head Here)

Jug Knot jugknot at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:02:20 MDT 2012

List -

Thanks to Dan Kulinski and my SysAdmin Guru in Baltimore for some advice
and common sense.  Solutions path and
lessons learned given here -

"Obviously, talking with you set my head straight on these Centos 6.2 KVM
installs".

- Went back to MINIMUM install
- Used yum 'grouplist -v' for available packages
- Used yum groupinstall "Desktop*" "X11*" "Java*" "Internet*" "MySQL*" "Web
Server*" "PHP*" "Office*" etc.

- X11 required the additonal 'yum install xorg-x11-fonts-Type1" package
- MySQL came up fine, as did change password, mysqladmin functions
- Set up a Test WordPress instance to see it was all running
- Put 'Bang Head Here' sign away for a few days

Lesson learned -
- Centos 6.2 Base Package Installs (eg Database, Web Server, Desktop) don't
do well for enhancements after being built
- Your suggestion about adding packages during the Install Dialogue will be
tried at a later date

Tim Weil - CISSP/CISA/PMP/CRISC
SecurityFeeds LLC
http://securityfeeds.com/drupal